Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hype Gripe

Unfortunately my computer's still done in at the moment, so apologies for the lack of updates. I just thought that I'd pop on here to make light of one of the recent Resident Advisor reviews of Dubfire's 'Ribcage'. The first release on Martin Buttrich and Loco Dice's Desolat label has been hugely hyped and charted loads of people of late, so I was quite excited to get my ears around it. Once I did, I found myself replaying it again and again - not because it excited me - the polar opposite is unfortunately the case. Just WHY have people been getting excited about this track? It's just boring proggy nonsense that has no appeal to me at all. Steer clear of this at all costs. It's yet another lesson that whatever the hype is surrounding a record, you could always give it the once over before blindly buying it just because of others charting it. Whatever happened to interesting, engaging 'minimal' tracks that stand up on their own accord rather than having the excuse of being a mixing tool? Come on bandwagon jumpers - surely you can do better than this lazy load of drivel!

Check Todd Burns' totally on point review of it over at RA here.

For people wanting to listen to something different to all the usual gubbins that's about at the moment, why not look to the past instead? I've been getting some serious play from Shit Robot's mix over at Beats In Space (scroll down to the June shows) that, thankfully, steers away from everyone else's 'oh I'll just do a conceited disco mix' attitude on the show. Packed full of chunky old school house joints and UK rave anthems, it's been a breath of fresh of air for me on my walks to and from work. Yes, that's right, I've finally got round to getting myself an mp3 player that works. Living on the edge of technological advancement, as usual! I've been getting my ears round a few mixes at the moment whilst on my wanders - other recent recommendations would be the Prosumer and Crowdpleaser mixes over at Resident Advisor, and also the ones over at the Warm agency's blog. Ones of note would be the Trickski and Gerd mixes. Hours of audio enjoyment for you there - should be enough to tide you over until I get my computer fixed next week (should be Thursday, but don't count on it!).

I'll also be back with news of the guest for our TAPE relaunch at Native on November 16th (along with ticket details, which you blog readers will get an advance heads up on). It's a secret at the moment, but let's just say that come rain or shine, we're sure he'll smash it out...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard Carnage in dislikes minimal record shocker!!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Richard Carnage said...

Shocking, isn't it? I obviously love all other records - just not this one. ;)

I was just incredibly surprised at the reception that it'd had from other DJs, only to find out it was a load of boring prog tripe.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Sean-Michael Yoder said...

Have you heard the Deadbeat RA mix? That one is great. Very dark and very unusual. You might like it.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Richard Carnage said...

Not checked that one yet, Sean. Once my computer and internet at home are back up, I'll get right on it. Cheers for the tip.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Sell By Dave said...

Rich, why are you surprised that it's cobblers… it's a feckin' Dubfire record FFS! The last half decent record he made was probably Deep Dish's 'Stay Gold'… and that was 10 or 11 years ago!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Ronan said...

I thought it was pretty boring, or didn't bother listening to it really, but I heard it out the other night and it did sound pretty good and worked well too, one of the biggest cheers of the night and not cos everyone was duped by hype I don't think.

I probably won't bother buying it anyhow, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sir Seppone said...

The influx of UK progressive house/trance is the worst thing that happened to minimal. And this track is a very good (means bad) example for this.
I just felt like you when I listend to the track for the first time after coming across it in several DJ charts. Is just a bore.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Sir Seppone said...

Ahh, damned, the Trickski DJ-Mix of http://warmhq.blogspot.com/ which you recommended isn't online anymore.
A reupload would be great.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site hit counter