Thursday, February 23, 2006

The URL of Sandwich


It's snowing outside. It looks nice, I'll admit. But this is England, and it's not going to settle, it's just going to turn the pavements into slippery deathtraps or create a black perma-sludge that'll hang around for weeks. Or, let's be honest, just turn into rain in mid-air.

It wouldn't bother me if I didn't have to bike into town imminently. Shouldn't I be driving Kavinsky's Ferrari or something? Well, if I was in posession of such a vehicle (my time is yet to come...), this AM I would be inclined to whack a wee bit of Cosmic Sandwich on the stereo as I cruise through the, er, gridlock of rush-hour traffic.

Steve Barnes' 'Cosmic Sandwich' was an instant (or sleeper, depending on who you were) classic that really pricked the public's consciousness when it was re-released in remixed form last year. Dominik Eulberg's hypnotic, demonstrative rework was the main draw, but lurking on the B-side was a version by Barnes himself as Cosmic Sandwich (all this talk of sandwiches, and I forgot to buy bread for my fucking breakfast)...Emphasizing the future disco elements of the original , this mix was a right royal Metro Area style-strut draped with druggy synth lines to seal the deal. A lot of people who own the 12" haven't even heard this track, such is the definitive status of the Eulberg mix; well, it deserves an airing and if you're not already familiar, here the bugger be:

Download:
Steve Barnes - Cosmic Sandwich (Cosmic Sandwich Remix)// MBF




Another Cosmic Sandwich remix 12" is on its way shortly from MBF. Daso's mix is decent, but
the highlight, for me, is the interpretation of 'Man in a Box' by Andre Kraml (he of Firm/'Safari' semi-fame)...An underrated producer in some quarters, Kraml has recently played with the roving band of Crosstown Rebels and is slowly but surely putting some fine productions under his belt after the trojan horse/albatross of 'Safari'...Always breezy, narcy and insidiously funky, his tracks are invariably dancefloor dynamite. Check this out:

Download:
Cosmic Sandwich - Man In A Box (Andre Kraml Remix)// MBF

Buy Steve Barnes/Cosmic Sandwich/Andre Kraml records here

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard Carnage said...

Ah! The Cosmic Sandwich mix... You beat me to posting that didn't you? I was saving that for... saving it some something anyway! And Mr Soft's right - the Cos Sand mix was far too underrated at the time due to it's competitor on the b-side. Personally, I have to say that I prefer the Barnes mix, but that's not taking anything away from the Eulberg one which is fucking great as well. Good one Softie!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Blackest said...

Yeah, I should have pointed out that I too would have completely overlooked the Barnes mix if it were not for Mr Carnage. Credit where credit's due...

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site hit counter